I made Chicken and Wild Rice Soup yesterday when the temperature lows were in the 40s here in the Northwest. Creamy, hearty, and yummy!! And SOOO easy--cut up the veggies the night before and the soup will go together in minutes. And with the wonders of an electric pressure cooker like the Instant Pot, it can be done in minutes. No thickenings to make--Ultra Gel stirs in to just the consistency you want, with no danger of curdling the fragile milk base.
Yields 12 cups
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. celery, chopped
- 1 c. carrot , chopped
- 1 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 c. wild rice
- 1 T. chicken bouillon (paste or powder)
- 1 qt (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 c. half and half
- 1/2-3/4 c. Ultra Gel
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of an Instant Pot (or other electric pressure cooker). If the breasts are very large, I cut the into 2 or 3 pieces for even cooking.
- Add chopped onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms on top of the chicken breasts.
- Add wild rice, chicken bouillon and chicken broth.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Allow to Naturally Release for ten minutes, then vent any remaining pressure manually.
- Break the chicken pieces up with a fork or remove them to a plate and cut into cubes or shred. Add chicken back to the soup.
- Stir in half and half, then thicken by adding 1/2 c. Ultra Gel gradually, stirring constantly. Allow to thicken for five minutes, then add another 1/4 c. if you want it thicker.
- Stir in half and half