Looking for a fun Halloween decoration that becomes a blood-curdling part of the refreshments? Look no further. The magic of Ultra Gel® combined with other kitchen staples provides a delightfully cherry flavored but horribly realistic visual effect. Stirs up in minutes and holds up great! Makes a great syrup to serve in Italian sodas or to pour over ice cream.
- 1 c warm water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 t. cherry flavored Koolaid powder (1 pkg)
- 1/2 t. black cherry flavored Koolaid powder (1/2 pkg)
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 3 T. Ultra Gel®
- 2 t. red food coloring (liquid)
- Add sugar, KoolAid powders, and corn syrup to warm water and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add Ultra Gel® gradually, using a wire whisk or fork. If you see lumps, don't panic--they will stir out.
- Add red food coloring to desired color. The fake blood will reach maximum thickness in about ten minutes.
You can make Italian sodas by filling a glass about 1/3 full of the syrup, then filling with club soda (the base is already pretty sweet, so better to use club soda than a sweetened carbonated drink). Add a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream and you have a delightfully macabre but refreshing drink! Or pour it over ice cream balls decorated with candy "eyes".