Yields 8 servings
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 t. Creole seasoning (I used Tony Cacherres)
- 1 T. butter
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- thyme sprigs
- 1 lb yellow potatoes-1" dice (no need to peel)
- 3 c. sweet corn (frozen)
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 4 T. Ultra Gel®
- 1/2 t. paprika (for garnish)
- Toss shrimp with Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper and set aside for ten minutes.
- Cut bacon into pieces and cook until crispy--remove to a paper towel.
- Add shrimp to bacon fat and cook until pink, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove shrimp from pan and add to bacon.
- Drain bacon fat from pan, but do not wash pan.
- Melt butter, add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, and potatoes; cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in corn, cream, and Ultra Gel and simmer 5 minutes more
- Turn off the heat and stir in cooked shrimp.
- Season to taste and serve, topping each serving with crumbled bacon.
Note: Although this a deliciously rich treat, it works well to substitute boneless, skinless chicken breast for the shrimp. Cut the chicken into 1" cubes and season well with Creole seasoning, salt, and pepper and let stand. Follow the same instructions for the shrimp, adding the chicken back at the end.
CHILDREN ALERT! The recipe has just a little burn to it--just enough to make it interesting!