Serves Serves 8341
Apple Pie Filling
1 hr, 20
1 hr, 20
- 3 ½ cups blanched fresh apples sliced ¼” thick
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons. sugar
- ¼ cup All Purpose Thick Gel
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup cold water
- ¾ cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons. bottled lemon juice
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- Peel and core apples then cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place slices in water containing ascorbic acid to keep from turning brown.
- Blanche slices for 1 minute in boiling water and keep warm.
- Combine sugar, All Purpose Thick Gel, and spices then combine in a large kettle with water, apple juice, coloring and lemon juice.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Cook over medium high heat until thick and bubbly.
- Fold in drained apple slices.
- Put lower crust in pie dish then add pie filling.
- Affix upper crust. Cut several small slices for steam to escape while baking.
- Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350° F and bake an additional 20 minutes.