Apple Pie Filling – Canned
- 6 quarts blanched, fresh apple slices 1/4" thick (about 9 - 10 lbs of apples)
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 5 cups apple juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 7 drops of yellow food coloring
- 3 cups Ultra Gel instant thickener
- Peel, core and slice apples, place in water containing ascorbic acid.
- Blanch apples no more than 2 quarts at a time for 1 minute in boiling water.
- Combine sugar, spices, water, apple juice, lemon juice and coloring in a large (8 - 10 qt) kettle
- Sprinkle in Ultra Gel while stirring with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Heat until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Fold in drained apples, mixing until well combined.
- Ladle into 1 quart jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top.
- Affix and tighten lids.
- Process immediately in a boiling water bath canner for 35 minutes after water begins to boil. (Sea level.)
- For elevations of 1000 - 3000 feet add 5 minutes of processing time.
- For elevations of 3000 - 5000 feet add 10 minutes of processing time.